Re: [OM] {OM} OT new nikon rangefinder

Subject: Re: [OM] {OM} OT new nikon rangefinder
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:18:09 -0400
Hello All,
No matter
----- Original Message -----
From: JOHN SCHEUERER <jhs8956@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 6:20 PM

>   I've been hearing that Leicas newer aspherical lenses have been getting
> great reviews.I wonder how Nikons new rangefinder lenses will fare against
> them.

I've read somewhere on the web that they do outperform their predecessors by
a significant margin.

It would be nice to see cameras of that quality and craftsmanship out
> on the market again,except a little more within reach money wise.

Ain't that the truth!  I'm going to commit a heresy now, so completely
besotted Zuikoholics, close your eyes.  Contax has some affordable bodies,
the 167MT for instance, and some of their less expensive Zeiss lenses are
very, very good.  Aside from Oly, that's about the only manual system I can
think of that has really superb optics and won't completely wreak your life
savings.  Of course I'm one who has never had a lens wider than 24mm or
longer than 200.  If you go past those limits in Contax, take a wheelbarrow
to the bank.

5000.00,
> WHEW!!! DON'T COLLECT EM, USE EM!!!

Well, for those who can afford it, maybe both.  My M3 has multiplied in
value by several factors (but I do use it--very, very carefully).  I sure
wish I still had my first Leica, a screwmount 3f.

> Stephen Gandy raves about those M3s on his cameraquest site. Looks like
> fully manual rangefinders will never die.

Here's hoping.  Since I like wide angles more, I actually prefer the M2--and
I had one drat it!  Guess I'll have to search out a 35 Summicron with
"eyes."

Regards,
John