Re: [OM] Comparing Zuikos to Zeiss

Subject: Re: [OM] Comparing Zuikos to Zeiss
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:18:02 -0400
At 07:46 AM 4/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
>All of the smaller Zuiko lenses (the 200 mm f/4 on down) share the same
>chintzy plastic construction.  If you shake one, it rattles like a child's
>toy.  The aperture ring has a loose, imprecise feel to it; I'm always
>afraid I'm going to break one off.  Ditto for the spindly little
>depth-of-field preview button.  At their price levels, you cannot expect
>Zeiss or Leitz quality from the Zuiko lenses, but they could have been
>designed with more ruggedness in mind.

I'd like to revisit this I as have considerable experience with Zuiko and current Zeiss lenses, and Leica M lenses as well. I would have to disagree. Zeiss lenses MAY be just a tad better finished, but not much. Certainly not better than the best of the Zuiks, the 100/2, 90/2, 50/2, etc. I am really a fanatic for a well made piece of equipment, and Olympus has their share.

Certainly there are differences between the feel of lenses in ALL camera lines that I don't like. Even my M lenses. If it was up to me, every lens in a product line would have exactly the same stiffness in focusing and aperture ring. Yet they don't, not Zuiko, Zeiss, or Leica.

Perhaps the smaller Zuiks feel the way they do cuz they may have received twenty years of continuous use. Oly users may not be as ready to send a 50 1.8 for a CLA the same way a Leica Summicron owner may--for obvious reasons. And Oly users may actually use the stuff, unlike some owners of high-end German equipment.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at