Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;)(long)

Subject: Re: [OM] It's a disease alright, but I love being infected! ;)(long)
From: David Barnblatt <dbarnblatt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:46:56 -0700
Well I have been lurking here for a little while and after this week I feel
the need to confess what my admitted addiction to Olympus gear did to me...

It all started back in 1980 when I received my first camera, an OM-1, I have
been using Olympus ever since...  By 1987-1988 I was going to college, taking
photo clases and working at a camera store in San Diego. I was able to bring
my gear up to the best Olympus standards.  At that time Olympus was at it's
peak, a time when the OM-4T was just out and the OM-1 was still being made.  I
had an Om-4T, OM-3, 24mm f2, 50mm 1.2, 300mm 4.5, MD-2, etc.

I was buying and selling all sorts of OM equipment at a time that Olympus
stuff was available and cheap.  I remember some of these prices and I can't
believe it... I remember buying a 40mm f2 for $75.00, an OM-4T for $435.00,
the 50mm f1.2 for $175.00 All new! And the used stuff was even better, I
walked into Point Loma Camera one day in 1987 and in the used case was a 90mm
f.2 macro lens.  It was a new lens at that time and I had never seen one; and
neither had anyone at the store. (Point Loma's story they told me about the
lens: "appearently some doctor used it for a little bit and then wanted an
autofocus camera")  I had them take it out of the case put it on a camera and
when I looked through the viewfinder I knew that this was an outstanding
lens.  When I looked at the price ($200) I thought it was fair, and I bought
it!  Back at the camera store I worked at I tried to look up the price,
couldn't find it, only a month later when the new Olympus price book showed up
there it was! I flipped!  I still have the lens. $200 for a 90mm f2 Macro!!!
Those were the good ol' days.

Present day.  It started a few months ago... I started taking pictures again
after a long while and was using a rather thinned out camera package OM-4T,
the 90mm and a 180mm f2.8.   So last week I really got the bug and decided to
replenish what I had sold off so many years ago.  I have been trying ebay for
a little bit and I'm finding that it is really good for accessories, bellows,
cable releases, motor drives, etc.  With cameras and lenses it seems a bit out
of hand. I tried to bid on a 50mm f2 macro lens last week the the price
rocketed up to $460. I looked at BH Photo... a new one can be had for
$529.00...I called and ordered it!!!

Let me tell you there is nothing like opening a new Zuiko lens... nothing!
First the box is just the best looking ever... gold, bronze, black, glossy,
shiny, pretty!  Taking the lens (wrapped in a clear plastic bag) out of the
case (wrapped in a clear plastic bag), I'm sure many of you have had the
expierence!  And the lens is flawless ready to be put to use!!!

I don't want to go on too long so lets say this is part one of my
confession.... to be continued...

Cheers,

David