Re: [OM] Comparing Zuikos to Zeiss

Subject: Re: [OM] Comparing Zuikos to Zeiss
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:10:32 +0200
Denton Taylor schrieb:
> At 07:46 AM 4/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
> > >All of the smaller Zuiko lenses (the 200 mm f/4 on down) share the same
> > >chintzy plastic construction.

Which is obvoius nonsens. Practicaly all Zuikos are metal-and-glass-only
constructions, only a few exeptions use plastic parts (usualy cheaper
lenses like new 50mm/1.8 or 35-70mm/3.5-4.5). The make quality of Zuikos
is usualy above the average in the industry.

> > If you shake one, it rattles like a child's
> > >toy.

Mine do not. Even the "plastic lenses" are very solid, at least compared
with most contemporary AF lenses.

> >  The aperture ring has a loose, imprecise feel to it; I'm always
> > >afraid I'm going to break one off.

Huh? Motorical challenged?

> >  Ditto for the spindly little
> > >depth-of-field preview button.

Better a small DOF button than no preview at all.

> > At their price levels, you cannot expect
> > >Zeiss or Leitz quality from the Zuiko lenses, but they could have been
> > >designed with more ruggedness in mind.

I haven´t heard of "ruggedness" problems with Zuikos.

There a new "low price" Zeiss lenses with plastic bodies, the don´t look
like child toys, just a remark to "chintzy plastic construction".

Regards

Richard