[OM] Flash sync question for Pen D2

Subject: [OM] Flash sync question for Pen D2
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings!

I'm a newbie to the list -- though I've been an Olympus user for over 25
years, so I hope I qualify for more than newbie Olympus status :-)

While, like most list-users appear to be, I'm basically a user of OM
equipment, I've recently had cleaned up the camera I first learned
photography on: the Pen D-2 (purchased actually by my parents on Stanley
Kubrik's recommendation as he had been a good photographer before motion
pictures seduced him away).

Anyway, since this camera has a PC flash synch socket, I'm tempted to use
it with my strobe flashes. I understand that most cameras of the era were
set with a synch timing set for circa 20ms. pre-fire before opening the
shutter (M-synch). Anyone know that this is true for the D2?

If yes, the natural follow-up questions are how to use this with the
modern strobe:

Is there a convenient way to convert the M synch to X? It doesn't need to
be very precise since I don't need to worry about curtains being out of
the way, but it needs to reliably fire when the shutter is *open*...
Other classic camera users must have solved this problem many times, so
sorry to sound so naive.

Would the Oly F-280 flash simply work with the D-2 with no mods? I don't
own one of these flashes, but already have a T-20 and T-32, and a couple
of generic flashes, so acquiring an FP flash just for this camera seems
excessive. Presumably, the 7-pin socket of the F-280 would need an adaptor
for a simple PC cord or I could simply get a generic hotshoe which took a
PC connection and attach that to the F-280.

Of course there is the minor problem of getting a PC connection to a
T-flash as well, but I can always use my Bounce Grip 2 for testing
purposes as it has a PC cord running to the flash handle/hot shoe.  (The
bounce grip rather comically dwarfs the little Pen D2). 1960's Olympus
sold a cute flashbulb gun bracket which screwed into the tripod socket of
the Pen cameras, like a small bounce grip, but I doubt that I could
squeeze even the T20 onto that unit.

Thanks!

Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")