Re: [OM] A bit off-topic, but still...Book about photography from Nation

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit off-topic, but still...Book about photography from National Geographics???
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:11:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've come across the book "National Geographic Photography Field
> Guide: Secrets to making great pictures" on amazon.com.
> Any of you know the book - and have an opinion on? Is it worth spending a
> few $$ on, or is it just a waste of money? Frankly speaking I'd rather
> spend the $$ on OM-gear than on books, but then again...it might be worth
> it. Any opinions on the book?

  It just so happens that I recently finished reading a friend's
copy of this book. It is a general field guide, mostly aimed at
people with a little experience under their belt and up.
 There are good tips on techniques, equipment and much more.
  For experienced photographers there's a many good tips, too.
                      ***********
  The very best part of the book, IMNSHO, are the several brief
articles written by NG staffers. There's solid, first-rate,
experience-derived, even brilliant information of the best kind
 in there. Some of it may appear a little ho-hum and simple, but just
re-read it until it's committed to memory, for it's solid gold...
the kind of thing you want to learn, from the foot to the spirit of
the letter. Real-life pop quizzes always come soon enough. :-)
                      ***********
BTW, many of us would be terminally embarrassed to know
that several staffers routinely do entire (huge) NG assignments
 with far less (and less sophisticated) hardware than we drag along
to a family weekend hike or kid's baseball game. Much to be learned
in this fine book.
   I believe the book goes for something
like $20 or so. A fair deal, IMO. [If you're looking strictly
for a tech guide, you'd be better off with the small kodak
 photoguide]. The NG book goes well beyond technique.

                                       *= Doris Fang =*