Re: [OM] foam kits

Subject: Re: [OM] foam kits
From: "John W. Sloane, DMD" <jsloane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:08:54 -0400
Hey, Tom!

You can not go wrong by sending your stuff to John, especially if your 2N is
in need of CLA...two black body (a 2 and a 2N) cameras of mine are there
now, and with these models, being as old as they are, they can have a
degradation of the prism foam which can ooze down onto the prism and ruin
the silver coating.  If you never had this done, best send it to John and
have the whole body done.  What you get back will be the equivalent of a new
body, and not bad for his price.  I sent a chrome 2 and 2N to him last fall
and they were magnificently done.  HOWEVER.....John also has detailed
instructions on his site for foam replacement, which I have done 4 or 5
times.  I also use the kits from Olympus Guy, and they are a breeze...about
2 minutes total time to place them, if glue is not used as the Oly Guy's
instructions recommend.  I think that the problem with not using glue will
come when the new foam begins to get sticky and it will dislodge when the
back is opened, but then again it's easiest to replace at that point!  You
also need to address the two little squares in the mirror box that the
mirror corners slap up against when the shutter is fired.  I just bought an
extra kit and cut little squares from the large piece of adhesive backed
foam used behind the door hinge.  Carefully tape some paper over the shutter
curtain, on the transport rails so that crumb-gum from the old seals doesn't
get into the mechanism.  Use (MANY) wood toothpicks to clean out the
channels, bit by bit.  To get the adhesive part off the big area under the
hinge, rub it with your thumb and it will peel off.  I have never needed to
use an organic solvent like lighter fluid, and I question the wisdom of that
proposal!  use a dab of $)( or even a bit of windex on a Q-Tip to help
soften the bigger piece and just dip the ends of your toothpicks in it to do
the channels.  BE VERY CEREFUL NOT TO DRIP ANYTHIN INTO YOUR BODY OR IT'S
SHUTTER MECHANISM.  Clean up of this old stuff normally takes me well over
an hour.  It's fun, though.

Good Luck!
John