Re: [OM] Bought a new film scanner - marginally off-topic (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Bought a new film scanner - marginally off-topic (OT)
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:31:12 -0700
Tom S. writes:

<< Has anyone else noticed that UPS' tracking is almost worthless
anymore?  It shows leaving, it shows nothing for three or four days, it
gets delivered and then it shows something. >>

I have experienced the same. Its really no better than USPS Delivery
Confirmation at this point.

UPS labor is unionized and they have a difficult time pinning down a
problem.  They need lots of actual documentation/complaints before they
can reprimand an employee.  I've been trying to get my local deliveries
improved (90% are screw-ups) and it takes lots of effort to get changes.

Everyone in UPS is quick to point the finger at someone else.  My driver
says its the youngsters who man the docks who aren't scanning.

Suggestion: always complain on the 800 number line.  The complaint will
be investigated within 15 minutes.

Businesses are so addicted to UPS that I just got from Minolta a
backordered 1/2" square piece of leatherette sent Blue Label in a 8"
square box. Geesh.  My pet peeve is insistence on mailing books UPS when
USPS Book Rate is 1/3th the cost or less. I've taken to sending the
stamps to the seller since all they have to do is hand the package
(albeit uninsured) to their postal carrier.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV