Re: [OM] Advice on Wide Angle Zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on Wide Angle Zoom
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 01:39:40 EDT

> I had seen a Tokina 24-40/2.8 AT-X lens that looked nice

A good looking lens for sure and with 72m filter size so you can use it with
the 18mm, 180/2.8 and 300/4.5.  Be cautious when buying this lens because I
have heard it to be prone to element separation -- which I have seen myself
so I'll just say this is a rumor.

The Sigma 21-35 is also a good choice.  I think it was the two touch version
that won the European lens of the year award a long time ago.  Very sharp but
somewhat subject to flare.  Make sure this one comes with the cookie cutter
hood.

I may be picking up a Vivitar/Cosina/Phoenix 19-35 for fun as they aren't
that costly.  They get fairly good in test reports at f8.

As to needing an f 2.8 lens in wide angle, other than the ease of focusing, I
don't think it is all that useful.  I usually use wide angles stopped down
quite a bit.

Warren