Re: [OM] OT: Yank buying from OZ

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Yank buying from OZ
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Apr 2000 16:40:42 +1000
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> Question for US list members:  I'd like to purchase a lens from an
> Australian member, but I discover the Post Office will not do an
> International Money Order to Australia!

I had a luser send me a US money order once.  It even said in big red
letters "NOT VALID OUTSIDE THE USA".  Didn't *that* cause me some pain!

> A local bank wants $25 to do something equivalent

Shouldn't cost that much.  The last person who sent me a bank draft
from the USA said it cost them US$15.

> but my main objection is that it will take 4 weeks to process.

Ditto.  Should take postage time plus a few days (max 10) if it's a
piece of paper that you mail, and 2 days if its an electronic
transfer.  I've had money sent to me from the US both ways.

> Ridiculous.
>
> Any suggestions?  The gentleman has already mailed to parcel! Yikes!

Use Western Union wire transfer!  Costs about AU$15 and is *instant*.

You go to a Western Union office, fill out a form with recipient's
name and City, hand over the money, and they give you a transaction
number.  You email the transaction number to the recipient, and the
recipient takes the number and their ID to any western union agent and
walks away with the cash.

In Oz, you can receive the money at any western union agent (use the
phone directory!) or at any Cash Converters store.

I've done it and found it very quick and easy.

HTH
        Chris.