Re: [OM] OT: F5

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: F5
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:06:42 -0500
On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 10:21:58AM -0400, Denton Taylor wrote:
> At 09:08 AM 4/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >   Talk about auto focus working sporadically,I foud a site where this guy
> > went and bought the Nikon F5.He shoots trains as a hobby.He gives a
> > blistering account of his experience with the F5s autofocus.
> >This guy was BITTER.He owned 2 of them and sold them at a loss.
> >  Check out his input.
> >      http://members.tripod.com/grumpysworld/guide/review.htm
> Based on my personal experience with two F5's, the above is a bunch of BS.
> Furthermore, pros would have dumped the F5 en masse if what he writes was
> true.

Okkay...so, assuming he's not lying blatantly, can you explain why he saw
what he did? Operator failure? Too-high expectations? Is the camera not
supposed to produce the same focus results with a split-image prism on the
focusing screen as the AF does automatically? Is it unreasonable to expect
to get more than 200 exposures out of 8 AA batteries?

Personally, I'm not in the market for an F5 anyway, but my father might be
one day...personally, having shot his N8008, I don't know how someone can
reasonably expect to fly the thing without having to stop and think about
it, even if they're lucky enough not to have to RTFM to remember how to get
there.