Re: [OM] OT: F5

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: F5
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:29:36 -0400
At 11:06 AM 4/20/00 -0500, you wrote:

Okkay...so, assuming he's not lying blatantly, can you explain why he saw
what he did? Operator failure? Too-high expectations? Is the camera not
supposed to produce the same focus results with a split-image prism on the
focusing screen as the AF does automatically?

I don't know and don't care. All I know is that the AF works! Really, if the AF on the F5 didn't work, the camera would fail in the market.

Is it unreasonable to expect
to get more than 200 exposures out of 8 AA batteries?

It is not unreasonable. Last NYC Marathon, November 1999, I shot 20 rolls of 36exp film with my F5. As I don't use the F5 all that much, I've put maybe another six rolls thru the same body. Still on the same 8 AA's.

Personally, I'm not in the market for an F5 anyway, but my father might be
one day...personally, having shot his N8008, I don't know how someone can
reasonably expect to fly the thing without having to stop and think about
it, even if they're lucky enough not to have to RTFM to remember how to get
there.

I also had an 8008s and the F5 is way ahead of it in usability... which doesn't mean it doesn't have its own set of quirks, like far too many interlocks.

Anyway, the camera works. The metering is better than any other except multiple manual spot meter readings by an experienced photographer... it really is good enough to just relax and enjoy it... the autofocus works just like it is supposed to, and it really will pick up a moving object on the left edge of the frame and hand it off to each sensor and continue to follow it even if an object comes briefly into the frame...

This guy has either a strange experience with a pair of defective bodies or is just a real grump, lol!

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at