[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1590

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1590
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:15:38 -0400
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:52:53 EDT
>From: "JOHN SCHEUERER" <jhs8956@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] flash for OM2000
>
>     Hi all,
>
>  I've got a question .Whats a good flash to use on an OM 2000
>   besides the S20. I'm looking for something more
>   powerful, maybe alot more. Ultra wide coverage would be a +. Does anyone
>know of any non dedicated stuff out there?
>                          Thanks in advance!
>
>                                  J.S.

I got a Sunpak 383 for my OM2000. It's got a guide number of 120, it's own
sensor, is variable power and has multi-directional bounce via a head that
both rotates vertically and swivels horizontally. It's a heck of a lot of
flash for the money, and will completely illuminate an otherwise dark room.
Having praised it, I'll also tell you that since getting an OM-1n with a
cracked shoe, and in anticipation of an OM-4, I'm in the market for a
dedicated T32 flash. The Sunpak 383 is a lot of flash, but it's really
large and makes the camera both top-heavy and impossible to store with
flash attached. My thinking is that I may just want to have a smaller flash
that's easier to leave on the camera. The 383 is just so big that even
putting a body with it mounted in a shoulder bag for a few minutes seems to
be risking a broken shoe or flash foot. Also, while the Sunpak is capable
of throwing a heck of a lot of light (for a shoe mount flash, anyway), it's
actually more light than I usually might realistically need. Still, for
around $80US, it's a good deal, and I like having it in my kit. I may look
into cabling it for use as an off camera slave unit.

Mike