Re: [OM] Re: OT: F5

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT: F5
From: Tmoynihan@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:26:59 EDT
Yes, I don't know a thing about Nikons beyond their generally fine reputation
and that a P & S Nikon I found for my Mom (used for $40.00) takes outstanding
pix.  However, it doesn't look like Grumpy ("That's MR. Grumpy to you"
right?) has a grudge against Nikon per se.  I think he just has extremely
high standards (razor-sharp shots, says Steve Goss).  I got a hoot out of
reading his "picks and pans" for cameras, and he has to very good things to
say about some of the lenses, and seems more or less fair, if extremely
opinionated.

Based on his praise of the F3, I think his problem is with autofocus, and is
as much aesthetic and emotional as anything else.  Bottom line is that AF
didn't work for him, maybe because he likes all of the manual control stuff.
Perhaps in a similar vein, I've got a Yashica 230AF that I picked up on eBay
almost a year ago, based on the positive comments I've gotten on that camera
over the years from my sister, who's used one since 1988.  (She takes
dynamite photos with nothing beyond a single zoom lens and a single flash.
Anybody out there who knows this camera knows that it was, unfortunately,
never a "system".)  Very good price, excellent condition, etc.  I've taken
one roll, to test it out, and it has sat in the box it came in since then.  I
don't know why.  I'm very (intellectually) excited by the trap focus, etc.
modes that it has, should be just the thing for Texas hummingbirds, etc.  I
just can't seem to pick it up and shoot with it.  When I go out of the house
lately, it's with the OM-4T/50/1.2/F-280, or a way old OM-2/50/3.5/Q-310
setup.  They just work better for me, and I enjoy the time I spend with them,
as well as the pix I get from them.  Maybe it's the same way with him.  I
keep telling myself I should get out and use the Yashica, but I'm betting in
the near future, my sister is going to get an early birthday present of a
second 230AF outfit!  That's my $.02.

Regards,

Tom Moynihan
Dallas, TX