[OM] Problems with my new Acer Scanwit (OT) - long and somewhat angry...

Subject: [OM] Problems with my new Acer Scanwit (OT) - long and somewhat angry....
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:48:07 -0500
I simply give up.  I got my Scanwit yesterday and for the life of me I can't
get it to work.  I've tried everything. I don't know whether it's broken or
just not supported the way I want.  Acer was no help.

My challenge is that I need to use it with a laptop.  I've tried two SCSI
cards, an HP and a brand-new, more than I wanted to spend, Adaptec
SlimSCSI-1480.  Acer said any ASPI-compliant card should work.  Both are,
and the Adaptec definately is!

The symptoms are consistent and wierd.  My film is cut into 4s (long story).
I've tried loading them as 1-4 and as 3-6.  When loaded as 1-4, I do the
preview scan.  1-2 preview fine.  5-6 preview as this wierd white square in
the middle of black.  3-4 scan all black!

If I then select frame one and click Scan, I get a SCSI error that the
scanner isn't ready and to check if the ready light is flashing (which it
isn't).

I've even tried it on two completely different laptops.  The first is the
machine I want to use, my Dell Latitude LS, Pentium3-400, 128Mb.  Runs
Windows 98SE.  Should be entirely adequate.

On the off chance that it was a configuration problem with the laptop, I
brought home my office laptop.  Less that a week old, it's an IBM Thinkpad
600X, Pentium3-650, 256Mb.  Also runs Windows 98SE.  Can't get much more
powerful.

Same exact symptoms on both machines.

I tried it both with the Miraphoto TWAIN Driver (the problems I described)
and with Vuescan (different problems, but problems nonetheless).

I've asked the vendor for a return authorization, which I'm sure they'll
give me, but I really wanted this thing to work.  It has all the features I
want at the price I want.

Since I won't get the RMA until Monday, I'll give in this weekend and try
the thing on my desktop machine this weekend. All that will tell me is if it
is defective.   If it's defective, I'll probably ask for a replacement. If
it works, it goes back, as I want a scanner that will work with my laptop.

I'd love thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks,

Tom