Re: [OM] Vinjetting in iS-3 / iS-3000?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vinjetting in iS-3 / iS-3000?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 09:33:02 -0500
>I finally found (after six years!) a fellow Swede who also use the Olympus
>iS-3000. This is his second iS-3000 and on both he have had problem with
>vinjetting in the 35 mm position. On the last camera he had Oly Sweden
replacing
>the zoom package. The vinjetting is most obvious at the largest aperture,
and it
>appears as dark corners in the images. With print film it is not so
obvious since
>the diaframe "masks" it a bit. I have not seen this in my own camera. Have
any of
>you iS-3 users in the list had this problem? He also told me that he had
problem
>to get the first camera to work in temperatures below +5º C. The problem
I've had
>myself is limited to temporary malfunction in very humid weather. TIA for
sharing
>any of your own experiences in these matters.

Yes, the IS-3/3000 will vignette at the 35mm setting if you have ANYTHING
screwed onto the front filter ring.  If you put a filter on, it must be of
the thin ring variety as anything thicker than 4mm seems to become visible
in the picture frame.  Furthermore, if the camera is left in macro mode it
will make the vignetting more apparent as well as messing up the optics for
distance shots.  I've personally given up trying to use anything on the
front of the IS-3 (the IS-1 did the same thing) and I leave the lens naked.

The only real problems I've had with the IS-3 in the cold is fast battery
eating.  Oh, film loading will fail sometimes if the camera is cold-soaked.

Ken Norton