Re: [OM] Problems with my new Acer Scanwit (OT) - long and somewhatangry

Subject: Re: [OM] Problems with my new Acer Scanwit (OT) - long and somewhatangry....
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:52:36 EDT

> Thanks for the advice, but I'm willing to slug it out with Windows and
>  replace the scanner first.  Since my latest laptop is a P3-650, I'm sure I
>  can't match it in the Mac line for the $400 that the scanner costs (if I
>  could then Apple would dominate the business).  I'm a pretty experienced PC
>  guy and, in the end, I suspect Acer's drivers are just not very good.  More
>  trouble-shooting this weekend though.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Tom

Tom, I know little of computers but perhaps you're getting too hi tech for
the ancient Acer software.  I've seen other general posts that the bus speed
is too high for the combination of the software and the cards.  Maybe go with
a slower and older computer.

I have an Acer 620PT which is a parallel port flatbed with a transparency
adapter which works fine. The parallel port bottle neck has enough
handshaking to slow things down.  I'm using it for 645 stuff and I'm happy
for what it is. ( $69 at Microcenter)

I will admit that the tech support at Acer is horrible, at least at the first
level of inquiry.

Warren