[OM] here's how to say Zuiko

Subject: [OM] here's how to say Zuiko
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:29:11 -0500
Joel,

You are correct.  In Roman characters, the
consonant sounds are alms always followed
by a vowel.  Therefore, TSU-NA-MI.  Basically
the Japanese vowels are A as apple, E as elephant,
I as it, O as ostrich, and U as wood.  In case of
tsunami, the mild emphasis is at tsu (don't
remember the word for 'emphasis')

In case of zuiko, there are two consecutive vowels.
The second vowel (i) sound gets a bit stretched to
distinguish from u sound.  Therefore, ZU-I-KO is
pronounced as zweekoh, where k-oh makes stretched
'o' and mild emphasis is at 'i'.

BTW, the above explanation could be wrong from
the linguist point of view.  I am just trying to
be simple.

Jim Terazawa