[OM] [OT] Update on the helicopter pilot

Subject: [OM] [OT] Update on the helicopter pilot
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:39:46 -0400
Gary Edwards sent me a note in which he expressed hope that my son was
doing well after the crash last September.  I thought it was about time
for an update so I've copied my response to Gary here.  In short, the
prognosis is pretty good.

Fully healed and living a near normal life except for a few aches and
pains in the back and some continuing vertigo due to damage to the inner
ear and near total loss of binocular vision.  The inner ear problem
seems to be resolved now as the vertigo is no longer of the "room
spinning" variety.  He's now being treated by a neuro-opthamalogist and
is doing daily exercises on the computer to strengthen his binocular
vision.  He does timed exercises tracking and responding to 3D objects
on the screen.  He has to wear red/blue 3D glasses and one of 6 pairs of
lenses designed to make it progressively more difficult for him to
focus.

He's been doing the eye exercises for 3 weeks now and went to see the
doc carrying a diskette with his test results.  The doc says he's making
good progress and he'll be reevaluated in another 3 weeks.  He has
renewed hope now that the vertigo will be fully resolved and that he'll
be able to get back in the air again.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA