RE: [OM] Bare Bones outfits and winding woes

Subject: RE: [OM] Bare Bones outfits and winding woes
From: "Michael Stephens" <mike1964@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:08:22 -0500
I learned this the hard way just yesterday.
My twin daughters were baptized - I was the "official" photographer for
the event at church, taking pictures of the entire Pastor's Class.
I shot two rolls of film - the entire first roll was of the baptisms.
The second roll was pictures of the rest of the service.  Well, all was
fine until reached frame 27, then 28....you know the rest.  Of course,
I was very unhappy.  Here I am, the guy with the OM-4t, the aspiring
amateur, and this happens when I'm recording an event for others.
I've been taking photos with my OM gear since 1977 when I got my first
OM camera.  I took a short N*k*n school course at that time to learn the
basics (I was in 7th grade!) and they taught the technique that Ken
describes - loading the take-up-spool end first and pulling the canister
over and into place.  I have shot thousands of rolls of film over the
years, and have only had this happen (where I actually went through
the roll without noticing that the film was moving) two times, yesterday
being the second.  I had a winder on the camera, so I wasn't moving the
advance lever to feel resistance, and wasn't paying close enough
attention to the camera to realize what was happening.  Interestingly
enough, the first time this happened was before I took the photo class,
and I was out taking pictures of old churches for a photo contest in
the camera club I had joined.  Guess I should leave my camera at home
when I'm near a church...

Mike