Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:37:57 -0600
At 07:58 AM 4/23/00 -0400, Chris Gengaro wrote:
>I am in need of a fast portrait/telephoto and therefore have been looking to
>buy the Zuiko 85 f2.  Recently, I have begun to consider the 100 f2 instead.
>Perhaps I should say "in addition," but it seems to me that while having
>both lenses would be nice, there is really not a need for both.

Agreed.

To start with, here's Gary Reese's lens tests for both lenses (as MC examples
-- I'm sure that a new 85/2.0 SC is no longer available; these results are
available at http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm):

***** Lens test results start *****

85mm f/2.0 Zuiko (multi-coated); OM-1 with mirror lockup

    Vignetting = B+
    Distortion = slight pincushion

Aperture  Center    Corner
========  ======    ======
f/2       C+        C+
f/2.8     B+        B
f/4       A-        B
f/5.6     B+        B+
f/8       A-        B+
f/11      B+        B
f/16      B+        B

Note: Moderate contrast.

100mm f/2 Zuiko (multi-coated); OM-1 with mirror lockup

    Vignetting = A
    Distortion = none

Aperture  Center    Corner
========  ======    ======
f/2       C+        C+
f/2.8     B-        B-
f/4       B         B
f/5.6     B+        B
f/8       A-        A-
f/11      A         A
f/16      A+        A
f/22      A-        A-

Note: Exceptionally high contrast images with exceptional
image detail in low contrast range details; remarkable lack
of vignetting wide open.

OM-2000 with mirror and aperture prefire, same lens as above

Aperture  Center    Corner
========  ======    ======
f/2       *         *
f/2.8     B-        B
f/4       A         A-
f/5.6     A         A-
f/8       A         A
f/11      A         A
f/16      A-        A-
f/22      B+        B+

Note: * = not available.  Moderately high contrast, except
moderate at f/16 & f/22.

***** Lens test results end *****

Hokay, so now the numbers are done.

Buy the 100/2.0.  ;-)

Seriously, I've never had the opportunity to use the 85/2.0, but I've been
stunned by some of the images coming from my 100/2.0 (stunned in a *good* way,
I mean).  I'm also not sure I agree with Gary's test results for the 100/2.0
based on his letter-grading scheme, but what the Hell -- he's a lot more
thorough than I am.  The 100/2.0's a wonderful lens, IMNSHO.

Garth