Re: [OM] Bare Bones outfits and winding woes

Subject: Re: [OM] Bare Bones outfits and winding woes
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:33:10 +0200
Joey Richards wrote:

> Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Not too long ago, I got together with Joel Wilcox and he showed me the
> > "correct" way to load a roll of film.  By golly, it works!  I always loaded
> > the film in its chamber first and then stretched the leader across the back
> > and then threaded it onto the take up real.  The "correct" way is to stick
> > the leader in first, make sure it is well planted and then drag the
> > canister over to its side and lock it in place.  When doing it this way, if
> > the film hasn't taken up properly it will pull right back out.  Cool!
>
> Hey -- I hadn't thought of that.  I bet that will help.  One question:
> do you just stick the end of the film in the reel and use the friction
> to hold it, or do you put the end in, perform the first winder crank,
> and then lock the cassette in place?

I do the latter. That way I can check that the leader is firmly attached to the
take up reel. Also, I find it useful to pick up the slack with the rewind knob
when the back has been closed. That way you should see the rewind knob rotate
when you take the two or three frames to get to number 1. If it does not
rotate something is wrong. That procedure has saved my day a few times.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://home.worldonline.dk/~lhaven
"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried"