Re: [OM] Got my shipment for Jaap

Subject: Re: [OM] Got my shipment for Jaap
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:49:33 +0000
At 17:39 4/24/00 , Tom Scales wrote:
>Medium brown case - this is the Olympus case.  Kind of 'retro'.  Won't use
>it as a case, just as a backdrop to the cameras.  Cheap...

The original leather cases are _very_ nice and wear extremely well.  I have
three of three different styles:  the old light brown hard case (and it is
a _hard_ case; very sturdy), the old black semi-hard case with tripod screw
on the bottom (also has a plastic insert in the bottom . . . nice), and a
dark brown semi-hard case (not as stiff as the light brown but stiffer than
the black).  Saw one of the successors to the dark brown one today, a
leatherette version, and was not impressed.  The surface finish will tear
up to whatever the white stuff is beneath it too easily.

The nose on the black will not fit an OM-3 or OM-4 easily because of the
different prism shape.  It is like a glove, and a 50/1.4 with thin filter
on it is a tight fit on an OM-1n.  The light brown will fit an OM-4 prism,
but the 50/1.2 is slightly bigger than the 50/1.4; enough so that the light
brown nose will not go over the lens.

Every time I go to the "big city" I dumpster-dive the used case and strap
bin at a major camera store and usually come up with several things for
just a few dollars . . . such as the black OM case, the high end Tamrac
black padded suede camera strap, a high end Domke camera strap, and several
velvet lined leather lens pouches.  Yes, used, but in excellent condition.
I also dumpster-dive the used filter bin.  Slowly getting various B+W and
Heliopan filters in 49mm and 55mm sizes.  Picky about glass condition and
patient with finding filters (glass must be perfect and no ring dents);
four out of five times I come up empty handed on them.

-- John