Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85 f2 vs. 100 f2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:15:00 +0000
You can frame it, but if you get in too close, the distance between tip of
nose and ears (about 6") gets too large compared to the distance from
camera to subject. Perspective kicks in and the nose looks too large while
the ears look too small compared to the eyes and mouth on a frontal shot.
A profile from the side is not as bad (depth is shorter).

BTW, you can also use a 135/2.8 by backing up just a bit farther and many
do.  At that length you have to watch the DOF and stop down though or the
eyes will be in focus but the nose and ears won't.  My favorite for tight
head shots is the 35-105/3.5-4.5 zoomed out at 105mm and wide open.