Re: [OM] OM-2S repair in Indonesia

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S repair in Indonesia
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:59:33 -0500
At 08:57 PM 4/24/2000 -0700, Ray Moth wrote in part:
>I'm not saying it's perfect. For instance, I regard the narrow, stiff
>shutter speed ring as an ergonomic disaster and a pain in the *ss to
>use :-( The position of the shutter speed dial is unimportant to me,
>whether it's around the lens mount or on top, it's just a matter of
>acclimatisation, but the operability IS important. Oly had a winner
>with the OM-1, 1N, 2 and 2N, so why spoil it in the OM-2S? To err is
>human, I guess!

I never noticed a difference between the shutter speed ring on the OM-2S
and my OM-1's.  I guess I don't understand what you're talking about.

I spent the weekend shooting my Nikon FE2, which in terms of features is
somewhere between the OM-2N and OM-2S.  I too am basically indifferent to
the placement of the shutter speed dial, but getting it off the top of the
camera allowed Olympus to make an extremely easy and convenient exposure
compensation system on the OM-2(x)'s.  In terms of the overall
functionality of the OM-2S, that counts for a lot.  Nothing against Nikon,
but it's no wonder I haven't picked up the FE2 for ages.

The nail in the coffin is the dimness of the Nikon viewfinder with my 3.5
and 4 lenses.  With a 2 series screen in my OM-2S, my 85-250/5 is an
amazingly bright lens.  Because the Nikon uses one photocell for both meter
and exposure, one is kind of stuck and focusing is really a chore.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA