Re: [OM] OT: Looking for film recommedations

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Looking for film recommedations
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:12:09 +0100
p.j. wrote:

>I am planning on taking some wedding photos at my brother's wedding on the
>beach in a month and need some help on film selection.  Any suggestions?

What you choose depends on your expectations...

1. Normal quality
        If you are not incredibly fussy about skin tones etc go for any normal
(200asa?) print film. I like Konca VX200 - it seems to produce less contrast
than the Kodak & Fuji consumer negative films, but that's just MHO. All
these films should provide perfectly acceptable photographs. However, you
may be wanting:

2. Pro quality
        If you wish to have hand printed enlargements done with superior
skin tones and without excessive contrast, I'd recommend Fuji NPS 160asa
(rate it at 100 or 125asa) or for more speed Fuji NPH400 (at 250/320asa). I
believe others on this list have spoken highly of Kodak Portra NC/VC films
which have similar qualities.

For portrait & wedding photos I usually get my NPS/NPH processed to 6x4" or
7x5" at a normal lab, and enlargements are handprinted. I was happy with
Kodak GPX160 but I believe this film has been discontinued. The 400asa NPH
is more flexible when the sun is not co-operating or if you will be doing
indoor shots. Two examples of what such films (in both cases GPX160) can
produce:

http://www.mawddwy.freeserve.co.uk/link2.htm
http://www.mawddwy.freeserve.co.uk/link9904.htm

[please bear in mind that both images have gone through magazine repro and
subsequent scanning for web]

Simon E.