Re: [OM] 35-70mm zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70mm zooms
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:43:14 +0000
Not counting the 35-70/4 AF made for the OM-F (OM-30; will also work with
all the other OM mount bodies), there are four of them:
  35-70/3.5~4.5
  35-70/3.5~4.8
  35-70/3.6
  35-70/4

Probably the best optical performer of all these (including the AF) is the
"two touch" f/3.6, but it is also the largest at 67x74mm and heaviest at
400g.  You didn't mention what you wanted to "compare" but I presume
performance although weight, size and speed might be a consideration too.
Here are my bookmarks of sites and pages that cover the 35-70 Zuiko zooms.

You can read the specs and see photos of all four plus the AF version on
Hans' (van Veluwen) wonderful Sales Information File site here:
  http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif/lensgroup.htm

Tabular spec data about them is on Paul Farrar's very useful site here,
including price range data (some of which may be dated, but is still in the
ball park):
  http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html#zoom

Gary Reese tested all of them including the AF version, the results of
which can be found on his nice site here:
  http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

Lee Hawkins' nice site also provides a synopsis of Modern Photography
reviews over the years.  He has their test results for the f/3.6, f/4, and
f/3.5~4.5 on this page:
  http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-zuiko-tests.txt
  [scroll down past all the primes to section II which covers the zooms]

Skip Williams has done some marvelous work gathering eBay auction closing
price data about the lenses.  He has data on all but the AF version here:
  http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/zuiko_ebay_history.htm

Hope this helps out.
-- John