Re: [OM] Newbie says hello

Subject: Re: [OM] Newbie says hello
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:57:08 EDT

>On top of photography for art's-sake, I just took a job as a
photojournalist
>for the Daily Northwestern, a student paper.  i'm looking forward to
learning
>a lot from all of you experts, and maybe even helping out some myself.
>Thanks to any of you who actually read this whole thing.  I appreciate
it!

>Looking forward to some fun,
>Evan

Hi Evan, I'm just an amatuer with a few published photos in the local
newspaper (including one cover shot!). I go to some events with my wife
the "real" photojournalist and take shots for fun. Here's my
unsolicited advice, for what it's worth:

For photojouranlist work, put the 2n in "auto" with the T20 also in
"auto" and winder on the camera. Use lenses between 35mm and 100mm (I
like 50mm believe it not) with 400 speed print film indoors and
100speed outdoors. Become the "fly on the wall" at events and fire
away! Follow the "important" person around and get shots of them
smiling, grip and grin, etc. Frame everything nice and tight because
they show up better in newsprint. This is not art, but documentation
(well, it *can* be art sometimes). Keep the images simple and
uncluttered. I also think it's important to stay detached from the
event, since you're there to document the event and not be a part of
it.

Check out the national press photographer's association at:

http://metalab.unc.edu/nppa/

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright