[OM] Colour films

Subject: [OM] Colour films
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:22:25 +0100
UK list members might like to know that this month's (May '00) Practical
Photography has a fairly compehensive test of the popular colour slide and
negative films. While I don't rate this publication very highly, this is
quite useful. For those without access to the mag, here are brief comments
on the slide films:

Agfa RSX-II 50
V. fine grain, good sharpness (between Velvia & Provia RDP2), v. neutral
with fairly low contrast. In my experience this film gives a warm, yellowish
tinge to outdoor shots shot next to Sensia II.
Agfa RSX-II 100
Grain & sharpness not up to the best of the 100asa films, but not far
behind. Colours are as RSX50.
Agfa CT-100
Similar to above, again neutral and a good performer.
Fuji Velvia
V. fine grain, high sharpness, punchy colour, disasterous skin tones.
Fuji Provia RDP2/Astia/Sensia II
Very similar, top notch 100asa films if it wasn't for...
Fuji Provia F
Grain & detail beats even Velvia, but with Provia colour palette. Skin tones
marginally better than its predecessor.
Fuji MS100/1000
Very like other 100asa films, but claimed to be pushable to 1000asa.
Grain/sharpness appeared to me to be somewhere between old & new Provia films.
Kodak E100S/E100SW/Elite 100/
Compete heads on with Fuji's Provia/Sensia range, as sharp but slightly
grainier. Better (less ruddy) skin tones.
Kodak E100VS/Elite Chrome Extra Colour
Supposedly Kodak's answer to Velvia. Almost as bad for skin tones, plenty of
punch & contrast but grain is same as Kodak's other 100asa emulsions. Reds
jump out and punch you on the nose!
Kodachrome 25
Superbly sharp & fine grained, skin too magenta, highlights too cold, almost
cyan. Still life colours subdued.
Kodachrome 64
Similar to above, but warmer with marginally better skin tones.
Konicachrome R-100
Grain is marginally the worst, but has good edge sharpness. Skin tones are
neutral, colour is quite strong but contrast is not high.

Tester noted that Jessop Chrome 100 and Tura Chrome 100 were likely to be
repackaged Agfa CT-100.

The results (given that they've gone through magazine processing) suggest
that CT-100 is still a good film. Fuji films occupy the top slots - between
them Velvia, Provia F MS100/1000 and Sensia have most uses covered. The
differences in colour palette between brands is shrinking, as each tries to
get market share, but the biggest difference IMHO was in skin tones. Most
neutral are Agfa RSX, my choice for flattering caucasian skin is Ektachrome
Elite/E100 followed by Agfa CT-100/Jessop/Tura and the RSX films. Each
manages to avoid the red tinge given by Fuji's emulsions (which includes the
supposedly made-for-portrait Astia).

Simon E.