[OM] Winder 2 on tripod & drive questions -Reply

Subject: [OM] Winder 2 on tripod & drive questions -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:05:27 -0400
Hmm...I don't think the MD2 will give you any more rigidity and you'll have
problems with the setup clearing the tripod head, esp if you're using a long
lens with a tripod collar (eg. 300/4.5 or the telescoping autotube). As far as
how many rolls can you put though the MD with battery pack 2, it's supposed to
do about 40 36 exp rolls. My experience is, that the nicads in the packs are in
poor condition on used examples. I've turned to John H for his replacement NimH
clusters which can be installed DIY, a delicate but doable operation. With this
modification, I do get close to the rated capacity. I did modify those smaller
Bogen plates for antitwist by drilling two holes and putting screws/nuts through
them. However, I doubt this addresses your problem. This I sold to Acer, he
seems to like it , but I believe he doesn't use winders or MD's.  Eventually, I
gave up on the Bogen heads and went Arca Swiss and RRS, a better solution but
not cheap.

>>> Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 04/27/00 04:03pm >>>
I've run into a couple of problems with the Winder 2 on a
Manfrotto tripod, using the small (non-hex) quick release
plates.

First, neither of my two plates will screw right home
any more. I imagine the cork shims have been compressed,
but not by much to look at them, and the plates work on
all of my bodies and lenses. The question is: is the
hole in the winder too shallow, or the screw on the
plates too long? For the moment, I've put a paper shim
between the winder and the plate.

Second, the connection between the winder and any
of several bodies isn't as rigid as I'd like. (A strong
argument for integral motor drive, IMO.)

Finally, would a Motor Drive 2 mount more rigidly
and be better quality? Counting against it is that it
can't take AA's. The Control Grip is unsuitable
for use with a beanbag. How many rolls will the flat
Nicad pack take, including power rewind? I may not have
mains readily available or want to carry the charger.