Re: [OM] KODAK PORTRA

Subject: Re: [OM] KODAK PORTRA
From: Sean Chan <Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:17:50 +0900
> I have used the 160 and 400 NC and VC.  Didn't realize there is now an ISO
> 800?  I'm a slower ISO user anyway and have been _very_ pleased with 160VC.

One thing about Portra films (like Royal Gold) is *where* you develop
and
print them. When I was in Perth, many quick 1 hr labs sold Kodak Portra
promoting it as the "Kodak professional film" but none could D&P the
film
well as they don't have the proper colour channels for it.

Whilst it's true it's a pro film, bad D&P gives the film a bad name and
many amateurs/beginners/casual photographers pay more *expecting* better
quality only to find that Kodak Gold III looks better!!

In the end, only 2-3 pro labs in Perth could print Portra properly and
boy,
do they charge an arm and a leg (AUD$45 = US$27) just for a proof roll
(2/3
size of 6x4??).

Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)