Re: [OM] The future is here?

Subject: Re: [OM] The future is here?
From: Sean Chan <Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:40:07 +0900
Hello Phillip,

> The new Fuji S1 Pro Digital is now available to the big shots for
> testing.

> A high ranking tech rep sent me some white papers on how this super ccd
> works.  Way over my head, but I can sum it up to say that they use an
> octagon shaped photo diode in order to increase the ccd density.  And it
> apparently does what it's supposed to do; increase saturation and pixel
> strength. (I did not read anything about buckets)

The "consumer" version of this is out on the market already - Fuji
FinePix 4700Z - claims to have 4.3MP (with 2.++ actual pixels). I
bought this model in March and returned it after 3 days of use. I
didn't like the CCD noise nor it's handling of shadow/low light
areas.

A little more about the octagonal CCD pixel - which gives an apparent
result of double the actual pixels. Some people claim it to be an
alternative form of interpolation some don't. In any case in Europe
Fuji has stripped off the 4.3MP and now in Japan, the new 4700Z
don't advertise the 4.3MP too.

Sean
--
Sean Chan         Sean.Chan@xxxxxxxx       http://www.msdw.co.jp
EI/UNIX IT Dept.  +81 3 5424-4318 (W)        +81 3 5424-4399 (F)