Re: [OM] The future is here?

Subject: Re: [OM] The future is here?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 08:45:19 -0700
A little more about the octagonal CCD pixel - which gives an apparent
result of double the actual pixels. Some people claim it to be an
alternative form of interpolation some don't.

In general, you cannot sample any finer than your sampling aperture, which is the individual cell size. (I think this was figured out by Shannon.)

By moving cells (or moving your source material) an increment of the cell size, you in effect average half of two adjacent cells, but the result is no different than if you did it in software, except slower. Manufacturers should (IMHO) call this "mechanical interpolation," rather than mis-labeling it as optical resolution.

I don't understand how a hexagonal array would provide higher resolution, unless they are mechanically shifting the array somehow, which would then simply yield mechanical interpolation.

I suspect the hexagonal array allows them to better use a given area of silicon, thus improving yield and lowering cost,. Then some bright marketing guy and some engineer got together and figured out a sophisticated way to exploit the hex array so they could lie about resolution.

But I could be wrong. Maybe someone who has studied signal processing and information theory closer than 25 years ago has better insight. Tim?

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>