Re: [OM] 2n long exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] 2n long exposure
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 01:45:35 -0700 (PDT)
Evan wrote:
I recently (last 2 weeks) purchased an OM2n, without instructions.  I
know it
can take timed auto exposures for up to (and maybe even past, i'm told)
2
minutes.  I was wondering:a) exactly how long can it go?
b) is there any way, other than with bulb, one can do this manually?
My
inclination is no, since the shutter speed ring doesn't go past 1 sec.
suppose I could just use bulb without a problem, but I'm curious...
c) does the camera automatically do long exposures in auto mode, or is
there
some other function i need to perform to get it to work?

Thanks everyone for bearing with my dumb questions.

Evan,

I don't consider your question to be dumb and I hope my answer isn't
either ;-)

The OM-2N (and 2S) will automatically use shutter speeds up to around 2
minutes in auto mode (unlike the OM-2, there's a limiter to prevent
times longer than this), depending on the light available. You don't
have to set anything other than the mode and the lens aperture. Since
the camera is continuously measuring the light off the film during the
exposure, any change in light level will affect the length of time the
shutter remains open. For instance, if you are 'painting with light' in
a dark church, the shutter will close as soon aa the cumulative
'amount' of light shed on the subject matches what the camera has
calculated for the film speed and aperture you have selected.
Similarly, if you are outdoors at night photographing a firework
display or thunderstorm, the cumulative light from several
bursts/flashes will eventually cause the shutter to close.

(For long exposure times, colour film may not support the reciprocity
rule: 1 step increase in f-stop = 1 step decrease in exposure time, and
vice versa. Reciprocity failure causes colour film to become less
light-sensitive that its ASA number suggest, at very long exposures,
and there are ways of compensating for this but I don't know much about
it - only that it can happen!).

As you guessed, there is no manual mode equivalent other than to use B.

Regards,

Ray