Re: [OM] Coming soon... a new book about the Pen cameras!

Subject: Re: [OM] Coming soon... a new book about the Pen cameras!
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 10:19:16 -0400
You are right. I've helped John out with his book, and it will only cover the viewfinder models. Unfortunately, no reflex camera information for the Pen F/FT/FV. The upside with them is that there is a lot of information already out there and available. Stephen Gandy's site has a pretty good write-up. I also have most of the Pen F literature and available articles that have been written since the 60's. There's not much more that could be written. A book would just collect the info in a consolidated place.

But for the Pen viewfinder cameras, Olympus made so many models with so many variations that it's difficult to keep them all straight. John's book will really help here. He's done extensive research into production figures as inferred by a survey of cameras worldwide. Olympus apparently didn't keep production figures, or at least didn't allow them to be viewed. I know that John also corresponded with Maitani himself regarding the cameras. There aren't many better sources than that!

Many of us are looking forward to the book.

Skip

 At 05/02/00 11:49 AM  +0100, you wrote:
Olaf wrote:

>...John Foster, has
>written a book about the Pen cameras ...  The book will be a paperback
>version, and will be available as of May 14th. In it, the whole line of Pen
>cameras will be treated in great detail...

A couple of months back I passed on to the List John Foster's request for
info and experiences on the Pens, but I understood that the book was to
cover just the viewfinder models - not the Pen F/FV/FT ranges - just to save
disappointment in case anyone thinks it does.

Regards
Keith Berry