Re: [OM] Colour films

Subject: Re: [OM] Colour films
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:13:20 EDT

> SUBJECTIVE FILM REVIEWS:
>
>  Velvia - Very contrasty, with completely unrealistic
>  colours, especially the blues. No gradation. The shadows block
>  up very suddenly, and greens block up before anything else (you
>  can see this from the datasheet too), which accounts for the
>  way it "pumps up" greens to make landscape conform to some
>  people's preconceptions of them. As we all know, higher-key
>  or normally bright scenes should be overexposed 1/3 stop with
>  this film, which is consistent with that. But then the colours
>  become even more kindergartenish. OK for cloudscapes. Resolution
>  about that of Kodachrome 64. Does handle long exposures better than
>  other films.

I like Velvia FOR the greens. I find K 64 greens to be murky and dark.  I
always use Velvia at ISO 40 because scanning and printing the shadows is much
easier.  But then some highlights get blown out but I'm a shadow man.

>  Provia F - yes, it appears to be high resolution, but a look
>  under the microscope also reveals high acutance and rather
>  high grain, so some of this is perceived rather than real.
>   But I won't be wasting
>  A$21 on another roll to find out.

I have some Provia F shots with saturated blue shadows that I'm having
trouble correcting in scans. But other than that I love this film.  I just
bought some from B&H in 120 for $3.99 per roll with A&I processing mailers at
$5.49.  Also I get Velvia 35 from B&H at $4.99 per roll with Fuji mailers at
$3.29.  The only problems is that I can't get push processing with either of
the mailers.

>  Kodachrome 64 amateur - beautiful, natural colours, good gradation,
>  excels in "magic light". Highlights wash out and tend to pink
>  where more green should be present, a particular problem
>  in semi-arid landscapes. Doesn't handle long (> 1/2 s)
>  exposures well enough to even bother trying (just as Kodak
>  says - they told me to use the *amateur* Kodachrome 25 for that
>  in the days when there was still a professional version.) Not very
>  forgiving with high contrast scenes, but of course better than
>  Velvia. Worst point: can't get it in 120.

I second this.  Next favorite after Velvia.

Warren