Re: [OM] Colour films -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Colour films -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:42:17 -0400
Yep, that's similar to how I do it. Just one more reason I'm a film heretic, you
can do this to any scan regardless of whether the original was Astia, Velvia, or
any neg material you choose. I really believe that one of the first real
advances of the digital revolution will be the end of the tyranny of the
emulsion. Viva la 7 stop latitude!

<<At last! Someone who shares my disdain of this film!

(I call it "Velveeta" because of all the "cheesy"  colors. For those
outside North America, Velveeta is the brand name of a processed
cheese that is applied to hamburgers as a heart-disease enhancer. :-)

But alas, it sells, doesn't it? Open up a nature photography magazine
and try to find one shot that isn't on Velveeta.

But if you work digitally, you don't need it. I have a Photoshop
action called Velveeta that adds about 0.2 gamma to green, about +10
contrast, and about +20 saturation.

It's better to do this in Photoshop than with light, because the
latter is not reversible should you suddenly develop a sense of
editorial objectivity about color. After I sell the Velveetized
version, I can still go back and enjoy the original.>>