[OM] Re: on ebay...a rather long rant......................

Subject: [OM] Re: on ebay...a rather long rant......................
From: "John W. Sloane, DMD" <jsloane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 19:20:04 -0400
Hi Group!

Well, in light of the recent exacerbation of the Post/Don't Post FS, FA,
eBay controversy, I have taken time in my day to pause and reflect on what
my feelings and thoughts on the subject really are.  So far it seems to be
an argument ove having mor or fewer restrictions.  Maybe it's time to think
"outside the box" on this one and go the other way. I have come to the
conclusion that I, like most others want to see what is available as well as
wanting to post my own for sale items on this list.  I am talking about the
"Pre eBay Offering" that we all seem to make.  I believe that this courtesy
is appreciated by all of us (list members), as I like "first dibs" as well
as the next guy.  We also like to feel comfortable in dealing within our own
trusted circle of freinds, and thus it isn't as "iffy" as eBay can be.
However, I have been and will remain an active eBayer, both buying and
selling OM Equipment (genuflect now, please).  I would like to see a lot
more of "private offerings" of list members excvulively to the list, as well
as list member anouncements of interresting items being auctioned on eBay.
Of course, I would object to having to sift through the downloaded list to
sort out FS/FA, etc from "OM CONTENT".  Can anyone see where I'm going with
this?  C'mon folks!  This is the computer age and we all have one or more at
our disposal.  My email program is Microsoft Oulook Exprss, and when I
joined the list irealized that "sifting through" the OM vs regular email was
a bit of a chore, so I simply took 5 minutes to learn how to create a
separate folder for any email with [OM] in the subject line, and have that
mail automatically diverted to that folder. No muss, no fuss.  When I want
to settle back and read OM list mail, I go to the folder and it's
there...all there, and nothing BUT OM list mail.  I bet other email programs
have similar, if mot identical features.  Likewise, my other email isn't
ensnared in the OM stuff.  Perhaps we can use this technique for sale and
auction items, and requiring the use of another keyword in the subject line
that would allow, say,  [OM] {FS} mail to go to separate folders on our own
systems.  I don't know how the server works, but I'll bet there would not be
THAT much FS/FA to make it impossible to have a small "separate FS/FA list".
Maybe I can be done so that we would not get the mail from that list unless
we made a special, separate call for it, kind of like a newsgroup.  I toss
these ideas out in an effort to enlist our members in a manner of thinking
that may actually resolve the controversy and allow an end to the flare-uos,
but it will take ACTION by some or all of us to get what we really want, and
not just more "Rules and Regs".

Respectfully Submitted,
John

John W. Sloane, DMD