Re: [OM] Advice on 90mm macro lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on 90mm macro lens
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 22:57:27 -0400
From:"François Corriveau

> Hi all
>
> I need an advice for a macro lens. I currently have a Vivitar 55mm F2.8
(1:1).
> I want to sell it because it dosen't accept any Olympus ring flash AND
because
> of it's very (too) short working distance. I know I should buy a Zuiko
90mm
> F2, but it's well beyound my reach!

I have never used a Zuiko 90mm so I can't comment about it except to say
that from all the rave reviews it gets it seems to be in a class by itself.

> Maybe a Zuiko 55mm would be nice, but I want to be able to go all the way
> 1:1 AND still have a respectable working distance.

What do you consider a respectable working distance?  This weekend,
butterflys were still leary of my Tamron 90mm even with it's working
distance.  I had much better success using a Tamron 80-200mm zoom on macro
which has about twice the working distance.

> I know that for a little less than the price of the 55mm, I can have a
90mm
> third-party lens. I've done some "research" and it seems that the Tamron
90mm
> SP is the best third-party.  Am I right? I know the lens  have a 1:2
> magnification @ 39cm.. Can I use an extension tube to obtain 1:1? Will it
> "cut" the working distance dramaticly?

I don't know about the "best" but I have found the Tamron 90mm 2.5 macro
sharp and contrasty.  You can use extension tubes or a 2x but both will cut
the amount of light.  This might not concern you if you plan on using the
flash extensively.

> I also tought I could use use my Zuiko 50mm 1.8 with my Vivitar extension
> tubes (12-20-36mm) and save my money for one year (maybe more...) and buy
the
> Zuiko 90mm F2!

I can't disagree with this idea.  Unfortunately, on my salary this is
probably just a dream for me.

> Finally, any other suggestions?
Reversing the 50mm 1:8 gives reasonably good results but the working
distance is very short.  It doesn't cut down on the amount of light like
extension rings or a 2X  however.

Gregg