[OM] Fast glass, follow up on the 100/2 and 28/2 story

Subject: [OM] Fast glass, follow up on the 100/2 and 28/2 story
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 04:32:59 PDT
Hi,

Well, I now have the park shots of the 28/2 and 100/2 session too.

The results are very nice, just like in the nighttime shots, in the daytime shots the 28/2 performed very well. Some flare is imminent (esp. off of a piece of reflective white paper). Either way, a US based list member was so kind to help me out in ordering a replacement front element for the lens (well, two actually, as Jaap _also_ has a 28/2 with a damaged front element; what a coincidence, eh?!?), so that problem should still be eliminated. I also performed the bokeh killer test, and I now know that the bokeh is kinda o.k., in the really tough situations (wide open, lots of small specks of light falling through leaves, rather far away from the main object (some other leaves)) the bokeh is a little bit harsh, but nowhere near what I have seen of the 50/3.5, the 28/3.5 or the 65-200/4 so far. Unfortunately the "comparison pictures" I thought I had taken with the 100/2 were not there, I guess I never took such comparison pictures with similar compositions (duh!), but there were some other leave pictures taken with the 100/2 which worked out well (easier (all sky) background, so no fair comparison). Conclusion of the test rolls: the 28/2 is definitely a keeper, and after the front element has been replaced I expect to use the lens a lot. It shall become part of my basic gear now.

Then some other interesting findings:
I had a short photo session of Karol (some 15 pictures), as Lucent is looking for photogenic kids for a commercial campaign. God she is good! If I may say so myself, I've gotten at least 3-4 absolutely great pictures in there (at least I'm very satisfied with them). All pictures were shot on location (an old abandoned railroad, in front of our house), and everything worked out well: great composition, great pose, great bokeh, nice colours/contrast, and nothing that distracts the attention away from the subject. As soon as I have some time to do some scanning, I shall at least add one of those shots to my personal photo gallery. Oh yes, apart from one picture taken with the 28/2, all pictures were taken with (surprise, surprise) the 100/2 of course (all at f2.8, +/- 1/125th sec.).

Over the weekend I've also had my first play with the OM-2n + 1-12 screen + Auto Bellows + T28 twin flash + 50/3.5 Macro. First off, thanks to Christopher Riek and Frank van Lindert for the tips on how to clean the sticky bellows aperture (it was a really easy task to oil that). The pictures were not half bad, but I do need to practise a bit to work out the magnifications and also the flash set-ups. At some 15 CM of bellows extension, the flash could not reach the subject, so these pictures were taken without any flash light. For the first session I only used some flowers (original, eh?) and the eyes of Gioconda and Karol (didn't work out because of eye movement and heavy reflections). The OM-2n exposures all seem to be o.k., the 50/3.5 becomes a bit soft at these extreme magnifications (something like 3:1 I guess?), so I can see why Oly recommends reversing the lens for these magnification levels.

Well, finally, I also took 3 pics with the 35-70/3.6 and they're quite o.k. too, when I get the 35-80/2.8 this will probably become a back-up zoomlens (or a "teaching lens" for Gioconda and Karol), so it's a keeper.

Cheers!
Olafo