Re: [OM] Tom Scales (kinda long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Tom Scales (kinda long)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:06:02 -0500
I don't even run through as much as you do.  I actually am 'body heavy' and
will eventually sell a few.  Some of the bodies are for 'collectability' (is
that a word?) like the OM-30 with the funky autofocus 35-70.  Some, like the
10FC are in the collection because they're broken (oily magnet) and I'm not
sure it's worth fixing.  Some are there because of sentimental value (my
original OM-1MD and OM-2MD).  The OM-3Ti scares me to use (it's so nice), so
I mostly fondle it.  The two OM-G's are my daughters, which let's me
rationalize a few more lenses for 'their kits'.  As they grow older, I can
rationalize even bigger kits for them, can't I?

The bodies I use the most are the OM-2SP and the OM-4.  I just reglued my
user OM-4T's leather, so it will probably replace the OM-4 in daily
rotation.  Which means I'll sell the 4.  I also have a nice 4T with John
that I'll sell when I get it back from a CLA.  I think I'll end up, body
wise, with the 1, 2, 2SP, 3Ti, 4T, G, G, 30, 10FC.  I may let John fix the
10FC and sell it, but that seems silly since the CLA and the sale price are
almost the same.  I might even sell the 30 with it's cool zoom, well, maybe
not.

As for the lenses, I'm muddling that as well.  All of them were reasonable
values (well, except the 50-250).  I've done most of my purchases by buying
entire outfits and selling parts of them, leaving good value in the keepers.
Not free, not even cheap, but good fair prices.  It's nice having 'one of
each', but hard to really justify (except visually).  And to think, the
picture I posted doesn't even show the 35 shift, 300/4.5 or 90/2 I'm waiting
for.  Oh yes, and the 2SP, 50/1.8, 28/2.8 and the 135/3.5 in a kit I bought.
Well, and the 1MD, Motor Drive1/CG1, 100/2.8 and 50/1.8 I bought.  OK, and
the 4T, G, Winder 2, T-32, T-20, BG2, 24/2.8, 35-70/3.6, 50/1.8, 75-150/4
kit I'm trying to buy.  Now that I read that, even I think I'm insane....I
sure hope my wife never gets wind of all this. And no, extorsion won't work,
I'd just tell her first...yeah, that's it.

I'm leaning towards a 'big sale' where I'd alternate fast and slow, meaning
keep the 21/2, 24/2.8, 28/2, 35/2.8 and selling the 24/2, 28/2.8, 35/2.  My
wallet and my head says: "reasonable approach", then I go into the room
where they are, take one look at the shelves and my heart takes over and
says "like he** you will".

A constant fight.

As I trade more, the cost of the equipment slowly creeps down.  I do better
on ebay, of course, then selling to list members, but that's ok, I'd rather
they went to loving homes.  I think I actually priced things a little high
in my recent post (based on the low response), so if anybody is still
interested in anything let me know and I'll, offline, give you a lower
price.

So, my obession has been unmasked.  There is something comforting about
opening the box, taking out your new toys and playing with them, even if you
know a lot of it will get sold.

Having worked, in a previous life, in a couple camera store, I just can't
see getting this passionate about anything other than the Olympuses
(Olympi?).

I'm nuts, aren't I?

Tom