[OM] OM4 etc.

Subject: [OM] OM4 etc.
From: "D G" <dgzap@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 15:17:48 GMT
<<<From: "Riek, Christopher" <christopher.riek@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] OM-4T vs. OM-4 as backup body
I'm looking to get a backup body for my OM-4t, and I'm undecided
about going with the OM-4T or just a plain OM-4. From pouring
through the SIF pages and the FAQ, it seems to me that the only
differences between the OM-4t and the OM-4 are the Titanium
top and bottom plates (obviously), support for the F280, and some
buzzer/display things. Granted that I do have an F280, but I don't
use the high-speed sync all that often. Given that this camera will
be a backup (alternate film and/or lens) Is it really worth the extra
money to get the OM-4T over the OM-4? I'd appreciate some other
opinions. (I know there is no shortage of these on the list ;-)- -Chris Riek>>>

I have been mostly a lurker here, mainly because of time availablity, but I really enjoy the list- been on it now for several months.
I couldn't help jumping in on this one,though.

I love my OM system, but I have had 2 bad experiences with OM4s, and tell people to stay away from them. Granted, there are many on the list out there have had no problems with the 4, I am sure, and that is great, but from my experiences with two used ones over the years that I have bough and sold (both Mint) I would not buy another. In both cases the 4 shutters locked up, like the battery was dead, and they would not fire again for a period of up to several days.

I have been told the connections and wiring inside are significantly upgraded in the 4T and much less prone to being influenced by environmental problems like moisture and heat. People like John H. have no doubt forgotten more about the 4 than I will ever know, so I am far from an expert, but I will say my experiences (once at a key moment) will keep me from buying another 4.

The 4T's, on the other hand, that I have owned (2), have been bulletproof, and I have never had ANY problems with them. I think they are great cameras, and I would not hesitate to buy and use a good working order 4T anywhere, any time. Again, no expert here, but lots of field use all over the world as a lab, and I stick by my hard earned opinions.

All this talk of flying brought back an experience I had in the Solomons in 1995. I was flying back to Honiara from Munda, and the plane was full, so the pilot let me sit in the right seat of the DeHav. twin, which I guess is not that uncommon there. Of course I had my OM bag, and I strapped in and looked forward to the flight, with a great view. As we approached the Russell Islands (beautiful from altitude- I think it was about 9,000 feet that day, I started to lean over to take a few pics. The pilot showed me how to lower the window (or slide it out of the way), and it was like a car, with the window open! Then he rolled the plane quickly as we passed over the Russells so - YIKES- I was looking nearly straight down at the islands, leaning against my straps- my 4 and 3 hanging from my neck- open window- wow.

Anyway, the 4 had shut down that day, was not functioning, but of course my beater 3- the worlds other INDESTRUCTABLE camera (with the Canon Old F-1), was eager to fire away with the velvia inside, and I got some lovely polarized SW pacific aerials through my 50f1.2 of the Russell Islands surrounded by blues. The pilot was a funny Aussie, and he didn't seem to care a whole lot about the passengers in back, but more with getting me some good pix vantages. Glad my trusty warrior- OM3 was there.

I have been surprised the OM3 hasn't shown up more in this list- I think it is one of the best 35mm cameras ever made, bar none, a gem to hold and use. I have three of them, and they are my first choice for demanding environments. The beater 3 I have has been soaked through in a tropical rainstorm once, and after it "dried out" was 100 functional again, within hours. Don't have anything else that would of taken that, and many other abuses (maybe the M4P I once owned, but that is about it- none of my EOS stuff would have continued functioning). Funny how the 3 never seems to come up much for discussion on this list. My favorite OM product, for sure!

Re: the 35-70f4S zoom, I have found it to be very sharp and contrasty- maybe it is just my unit, but I once owned the 3.6, and could see not difference between the two up to 8x10, whic was as high as I went. I just bought a 35-80, and will see how it stacks up. Very lovely so far, however, in two rolls. 35-70f4s is a very good lense from my experience, though.

Happy zuiko-ing to all!

Dave G.