Re: [OM] Flare from 35-70 f4 Zuiko compared with Leica Mini Zoom P&S

Subject: Re: [OM] Flare from 35-70 f4 Zuiko compared with Leica Mini Zoom P&S
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 10:23:16 -0700
Hi Ray:

You can compare results of the 35-70mm f/4 S Zuiko to other zooms at:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Note the Tokina 28-85mm
f/3.5~4.5 AT-X results I just posted. It is a fine lens that fills a gap
in the OM System Zuikos.

I have a Leica Z2X with a 35-70mm Vario Elmar. It is quite a fine lens,
but prone to flare if the sun hits the front element. I think it's the
same lens as yours. I can't do standardized testing of it because
everything is automatic as you pointed out. But subjectively in the
sharpness department, it is a winner. Color Foto tests have it right up
there with the best modern SLR lenses. I shot a roll with a Olympus
Stylus Infinity Epic DLX (the one with the fixed focus f/2.8 lens) and
it didn't look to be in the same league as the Vario-Elmar results.

If you are looking for a comparative Zuiko to the Vario-Elmar, try the
35-70mm f/3.6  For the range you seek, I'd recommend the Tokina. I was
going to sell the one I have here, but the test results have me wanting
to put it through a few months of actual use before I make up my mind.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV