Re: [OM] Depth of field questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of field questions
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 03:38:48 +0200

> To wit, how are the depth of field indicators on Zuiko lenses calculated?
> Basically, they need to arbitrarily decide on a value for the Circle of
> Confusion. Is this 30 microns for all lenses (I read somewhere that this
> is fairly standard in the 35mm format, but I can't recall the reference
> or estimate its reliability)?

I have some documentation Olympus delivered with a new lens ( 4/200, 1.8/50,
2/85)
. There`s a d.o.f Table inside. Thei are all calculaeded with a circle of
confuion of
a 1/30 mm = 33 microns. 33 microns is 1/1500 of the focal lenth of the standard
lens.
According to  literature  this ratio is determined by standardization.
But they also give the  ratio 1/2000 of the focal lenght to use for higher
demands.

> Since the allowable value for the circle of confusion should vary with the
> anticipated enlargement (and to a lesser degree film speed/graininess),

As long as you increase the distance of view with the enlargement of your
pictures (what is what you usually do- have a close look to a big advertisement
poster :-)
There is not too much reason to change the c.o.c.
Exeption, if you make partial enlargements

> would be useful to be able to reestimate d.o.f. for different values of
> the c.o.c. from the lenses as well. Is there a way to interpret e.g. the
> f8 mark as giving the f8 depth of field at 30 microns, but the f16
> indicating the same f8 depth but at ~100 microns?

The formula for calculation of  d.o.f gives a linear relationship betwen
aperture mark and
coc. The f16 mark gives F8 at 66 microns, and the f4 mark gives f8 at 16
microns.

> Similarly, any tricks for extended lenses (especially with the 14 and 25
> mm rings)? I find that my sense of d.o.f. is almost always off from the
> finished product with my very amateur macro work (mostly with the 90mm f2
> portrait lens which does a decent job pretending to be a macro lens)

In close-up photograpy, d.o.f. is always very limited. There is not too much
help on this.
I use the   d.o.f-Button. But give an addition of 2 F-stops to be sure.
E.G.  when the d.o.f in the viewfinder seems to be o.k. at f4, I take the shoot
with f8.

Frieder Faig