[OM] OM to EOS Adapter

Subject: [OM] OM to EOS Adapter
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 22:03:02 -0500
--------------- Text of forwarded message ---------------
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:33:45 -0400
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: OM to EOS Adapter

Hi Joel,

Would you mind posting the following to the Olympus list?

Since I received a few inquiries from the list members regarding the OM
to EOS mount adapter, I have contacted Kindai International which
distributes the adapter in Japan.  I don't know who really makes the
adapter since the adapter I had temporarily did not bear any marks of
its manufacturer as far as I could tell.

I will be in Japan between May 16 and June 1, and Kindai International
let me know that they do have the adapter in stock and they would put a
hold on a few for me. They also told me that they do not export this
item.

As some of you would know, there is a difference in the register
distances between the Canon EOS and the Olympus OM bodies.  The former
has a distance of 44mm and the latter, 46mm.

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm

Because the EOS body has a shorter distance, it is possible to add 2mm
to the existing 44mm so that the OM lenses would focus properly to the
infinity. But you can easily imagine the difficulty involved in
squeezing the mount hardware for the two different mounts in such a tiny
space.  It requires precision machining.

The list price for the OM to EOS mount adapter is 22,000 Yen.  The last
time I bought it for someone on the list, I was able to get it at 19,250
Yen before a sales tax of 5%.  The cost of the adapter is then 20,213
Yen.  According to my record, the shipping weight was about 250g.
Assuming the use of airmail small packet, it will cost 510 to 600 Yen to
North America and Europe depending on the exact shipping weight.  This
would be without insurance.  If you can wait for a package  for a week
to ten days, it is possible to ship a small packet by SAL. The SAL
package would cost 380 Yen to North America and Europe.  Buying this
adapter involves traveling by train to Yodobashi (train fare of 420 Yen)
and a few hundred Yen to buy the shipping material.  The total cost
would then be around 21,000 Yen.

The current exchange rate is around 105 Yen (I may be off a few Yen).  I
will accept payments in two different ways.  You might want to pay me
cash in Japanese Yen or by check in US dollars.  This way I won't have
to be your bank to exchange foreign currencies into the Japanese Yen. If
it will be in US dollars, I would ask those who would like an OM to EOS
adapter to pay a bit extra in advance.  I'll put the purchase on my
credit card and when I know the exact cost in US dollars, I'll reimburse
you the extra.

Alternatively, since it appears that there are a few Olympus list
members in Tokyo, you might want to wait until the exchange rate
improves to your liking. However, the adapter stock situation is
unpredictable and you don't know if and when the favorable exchange rate
and the availability coincides.

If you want to jump in to get an adapter, please contact me by Monday,
May 8. Depending on the number I will be buying, my transportation cost
can be shared by a few people, and I would expect that one adapter might
cost 21,000 Yen including shipping.

I might add that I had replied to the previous inquiries, assuming a
bigger discount at the store, which was unfortunately not correct.

Finally, I'll refer you to my translated document of the adapter for its
specifications. This is a set of the instructions how to use the
adapter, not how to make this adapter.  Please be aware of the
limitations of the adapter. It won't make the OM lenses autofocusable
on the EOS bodies, but the adapter gives the user the desirable features
of the EOS such as higher-shutter speed sync and auto exposure
bracketing, etc.. with the OM lenses and without losing the ability to
focus to the infinity.

ftp://ftp.charm.net/pub/usr/home3/tomokoy/OMEOSada.txt

--
Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx