Re: [OM] 35-70/3.5-4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70/3.5-4.5
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 23:03:59 -0400
Nice post Gary. KEH better get with the program or it'll be extinct like many of the mom and pop stores.

Your statement regarding customer Ebay comments is only exacerbated by jerks like me who provide market-driven data to the masses for ammunition against the KEH's of the world. Information is power.

As an aside, in the little store in Union, NJ where I recently bought an OM-2n (and sold it to a list member), the owner had an interesting story. He took the outfit (OM2n, 50/1.8, BG2, Winder2, various TTL cords and connectors) to B&H in NYC and they offered him $250 (which was a low ball offer... surprise, surprise). He wanted $300, which I paid. But it was the statement/question that he asked me when I told him that I was buying the outfit for an Internet-based mailing list member. He wanted to know how he could "get on the Intenet" for his store. This guy was nice enough, but he HAD NO CLUE as to how the Internet & Ebay are destroying his profit potential and market. He wanted to sell film on-line, geeez!. Given the sophistication of shops like B&H, he hasn't got a chance. In one way, I mourn the passing of the mom-and-pop photo stores, but it's a jungle out there, and the market is weeding out the weaker business models.

Skip