Re: [OM] Tom Scales (OT - cars)

Subject: Re: [OM] Tom Scales (OT - cars)
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 20:41:38 -0500
>I don't mean to be a smart ass, but you drive like that and you'll end
>up in the hospital.

As many of us hospital-dodging speed freeks can attest, it isn't the 0-60
in x.x seconds that kills you, it's the next few seconds after you realize
that the accelerator pedel is stuck wide open and you have a
curve/corner/other cars ahead!

My thing was taking corners without slowing down.  My RX-7 that I had (88
convertable) could take a country road intersection at 55-60mph without too
many gymnastics.  Just center the throttle to keep the back end from
breaking loose--things got a bit hectic when it did decide to shuffle out
on you.  Typical mid-engine sports car.  When it did wing out you needed to
be running about 5-7k on the tac so you would have enough horsepower to
keep it in the slide and not grab sending you back across the road into the
other ditch.  Nothing like looking back in your mirror and seeing lots of
tiresmoke.

Ok, maybe it was slightly faster than 55mph.

Ken (insanity is directed elsewhere now) Norton

p.s. Don't ask me about how fast we crested Blockhouse Hill north of
Muskegon, Michigan.  All I'm sure of is that we were running about 7k in
3rd gear.  The cresting righthander is marked 15mph. (think turn 3A at
Sears Point without the haybales)

OM content?  In the trunk.