Re: [OM] Tom Scales (OT - cars)

Subject: Re: [OM] Tom Scales (OT - cars)
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 08:54:37 EDT
>Do I detect road rage, or is someone on the ragged edge? :-)

maybe ragged edge, but common sense also.

>Dirk, we know you well enough to no take your comments seriously.
Around
>here, anything that can get up to 60 mph (almost 100 kph) quickly will
most
>certainly prolong your life when you try to enter I 85 headed for
Charlotte.
>We have had as many as 5 killed in a single car that couldn't get up
>speed fast enough as they entered uphill in front of a truck doing
near the
>speed limit.

yes, adequate acceleration is important. also, a good handling car can
save your life. I'm just not an adolescent anymore. I have very fond
memories of the sports cars I've owned. I really like the toyota mr-2
spyder, if my 6'3" and size 13 fits in the car that is. I've always
loved midengine cars. I used to have a Porsche 914 that was just great.
A long time ago I fell for the italian charm of alfas. But, sports cars
are an expense that I no longer wish to endure. I'm still recovering
from my latest bout with restoration fever. I'm perfectly happy driving
a saturn.

>What really doesn't make sense is a car that will go two or three
times the
>legal limit.  Where are you going to use them today?  But the memories
of
>when we could are good!

yeah, that's pure poser territory.

Be seeing you.