Re: [OM] OT: Net Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Net Storage
From: johncw@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 16:28:06 -0600

Morgan Sparks wrote:

"...There's an item in the current Newsweek about free net storage.
Myspace.com, for instance, allows a user up to 300MB of server space.
I'm thinking about putting up some photo galleries, and Together
Networks--my local ISP--doles out a whopping 1MB with each account.

Has anyone used these?  If so, do all the downloaded pages bear the
banner ad of the host?"

It depends on what you want to do. There are a number of free disk space
"dot.com's". I use "Filesanywhere.com" which allows 50 mb free disk space
per account. The key here is "per account". As you migrate away from
"free", your advertisements drop. Each account requires a login, regardless
of who or where login is.

If you are looking to set up a "live" web page, this is the wrong place.
These are diskspace, only, companies. You will not be able to create a
unique http address (URL).

What you can do, though, is create a "downloadable" web page using this
service. You will also be assured that no banners will be on your page.
This is a pain and requires the end user to have lots of diskspace, lots of
bandwidth, download, then open the file.

John Cwiklinski