Re: [OM] ILOVEY..Uhm I mean: e-SIF: please update your bookmarks!

Subject: Re: [OM] ILOVEY..Uhm I mean: e-SIF: please update your bookmarks!
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 12:41:57 +0200
: Hans, is there a preference as to whether link URL should be the real one
: or the virtual one? Currently, I've updated to Chris J Biggs ;))

Funny mnemonic. I use Computer Jump Board myself. Does anyone know where CJB
(http://www.cjb.net) really stands for?

To answer your question, Siddiq, preferrably you should bookmark them both.
The short CJB redirection is added for convenience, to save typing and to
save precious Memory Brain Cells, for instance when you're not at your own
pc, find this $200 Zuiko 100mm/F2 at the local camera store, and you rush
yourself to the nearest Internet Cafe to check my site if this is a lens you
really need. A silly example and a silly question, because you knew the
answer already, but nevertheless.

Another reason to bookmark the short url is for future extensions. Whenever
I do decide to add another mirror which then becomes the new main site, or
when Xoom lets us down in terms of availability or changes its advertisement
policy, and thus forces me to move (unless the advertisements concern the
new OM-5, of course), the CJB redirection can be changed by me to point at
the new location.

If you put direct links to OM units on web pages or in e-mails you need the
_real_ address on Xoom; the redirection part doesn't work here.

Btw 1 - my impression is that Xoom's accessibility is good; I never seem to
have much problems in FTP uploading either. I would like to hear from you
all when the Xoom server and thus the e-SIF is down. If this happens too
frequently I'll start looking for new spaces. If everything else fails I may
even consider using paid services, and sign up for my own domain. How does
http://www.esif.net sound? http://www.esif.org? http://www.esif.nl? No,
surely not http://www.esif.com. Stop Siddiq, don't bookmark them yet, I
haven't...

Btw 2 - thanks to those who offered me free space at their private sites to
set up another mirror. For the time being I won't use your kind offers since
public sites like Xoom give better guarantees for long term continuance.
However in the future I may reconsider.

Hans van Veluwen (mailto:hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx)

The Unofficial Olympus OM Sales Information File
http://www.esif.cjb.net